Making Waves is a speaking tour featuring nuclear survivors from Japan and Australia, travelling aboard Peace Boat’s voyage to Australia from 24 January – 6 February 2018. It will be in Adelaide on Monday 29th January 2018.
Peace Boat is a Japan-based international non-governmental and non-profit organisation that works to promote peace, human rights, equal and sustainable development and respect for the environment.
Peace Boat carries out its main activities through a chartered passenger ship that travels the world on peace voyages. The ship creates a neutral, mobile space and enables people to engage across borders in dialogue and mutual cooperation at sea, and in the ports that it visits.
Public events, meetings and media opportunities will take place in five cities. The Tour is a collaboration between Peace Boat and 2017 Nobel peace prize winners ICAN (the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons), in connection with local organisations in each city. Conservation SA is proud to be hosting the Adelaide event.
Making Waves will explore:
- The devastating humanitarian consequences of the use and testing of nuclear weapons, particularly on Indigenous people.
- The Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons.
- The role of Japanese and Australian civil society in building momentum for their Governments to reject nuclear weapons and join the treaty.
- The impact of Australian uranium exports on the people of Fukushima in the wake of the 2011 nuclear disaster.
The following speakers will travel aboard Peace Boat and participate in Making Waves.
- Miyake Nobuo, survivor of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima in 1945
- Terumi Tanaka, survivor of the atomic bombing of Nagasaki in 1945
- Hasegawa Hanako and Hasegawa Kenichi, former dairy farmers evacuated from Itate village, Fukushima
- Karina Lester, Yankunytjatjara-Anangu second-generation nuclear test survivor
- Scott Ludlam, former federal Senator and ICAN Ambassador
- Akira Kawasaki, Peace Boat Executive Committee
- Gem Romuld, Outreach Coordinator, ICAN Australia
Monday 29 January 6-7:30pm
Gallery Yampu, The Sailing Club, 1 Jenkins Street Birkenhead, Port Adelaide
The event is free, however spaces are limited. Registrations essential.
For more information see:
or go to the facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1437070836418728/
1 Jenkins St
Birkenhead, SA 5013
Google map and directions