Renewables on demand to smarten up our power supply


27 July 2016

Renewables on demand to smarten up our power supply

Conservation SA is pleased that the Government will source 25% of its electricity from renewable sources that can dispatch energy on demand to complement existing solar and wind.

Chief Executive Craig Wilkins said: "Adding renewables that either have storage (such as solar thermal and batteries) or that can be switched on and off as needed will mean we don't have to buy expensive electricity from our gas plants as often.

"This is the direction we need to go in for all electricity customers. The more South Australia can develop on demand renewables to complement our variable ones, the more electricity costs for all consumers will reduce over time.

"For this reason, we urge the Government to take the next step and ensure the remaining 75% of its electricity supply is also focused on ensuring the SA grid transitions away from fossil fuels as quickly as possible,” he said.

The State Government has announced today a tender process for 25% of its electricity supply. However, there is still no word as yet about the remaining 75%.  The number of competing bids for this remaining share includes a plan for solar thermal and storage at Port Augusta.

“Today’s announcement is another good step along our journey to clean up and smarten up our electricity supply,” said Mr Wilkins.

“The next step is to build a solar thermal with storage plant at Port Augusta,” he said. 

Media Contact: Craig Wilkins 0417 879 439

Support us and get involved

Contact Conservation SA on (08) 8223 5155, [email protected], or at our offices at the Joinery at 111 Franklin Street, Adelaide.

Created using NationBuilder